A Clinical Supervisor is responsible for assessing if a trainee is safe and competent to carry out the clinical work appropriate to his/her level.
- Is the person working with that trainee – includes on call, clinics, and theatres
- Undertakes assessments as appropriate
- Teaches and trains
- Gives constructive feedback at the time
- Guides reflection on practice
- Informs the Educational Supervisor if concerns arise
Clinical supervisors are in an excellent position to identify any potential issues affecting training. These may vary from clinical, behavioural, health related and communication issues.
- Any questionable behaviour observed should be documented, discussed with the trainee and the educational supervisor.
- Employer policies and procedures must be followed as appropriate.