I think they are professional people and they have different ways of dealing with sensible issues that would have been difficult to deal with at hospital level.
Clear and friendly advice, well separated from the clinical environment.
- To offer advice, guidance and support to trainees in their professional context
- To promote early identification of issues which may lead to referral to the Professional Support Unit to provide clinical and educational supervisors with a clear structure for identifying and addressing the issues
- To establish clear lines of responsibility for all educators involved in managing trainees
- To provide a network of support for educators throughout Wales
- To provide access to experts who can deal with specific areas
It is very useful to have someone objectively look at the situation from outside the department and help draw up an action plan.
- Managing risk
- Clear standards and a code of practice, with accountability
- Supporting infrastructure
- Clearly defined roles for key people within the Deanery and the LHBs
- Early identification and timely intervention
- Continuity and communication
- Formal training and development for all stakeholders
- Full engagement of all stakeholders
- Identifiable success criteria
- Robust audit and evaluation
- Quality assurance (internal and external)
Supportive and non-judgemental
Who we support
All Medical and Dental Trainees in Wales
What people have said about the PSU